All the happiness of hot chocolate, plus the zip of cayenne and cinnamon, with a marshmallow fluff filling that’s sure to bring out the kid in everyone! Best of all, these moist, tender, blissfully delicious Mexican hot chocolate cupcakes are gluten free and very easily made vegan. If you’re a lover of all things spicy, increase the amount of cayenne for more kick, or omit it entirely for a super kid friendly version. The tiny marshmallows are from the Swiss Miss Marshmallow Lover’s Hot Chocolate (because they come in their own separate package) – mini marshmallows would work too if you can’t find them.
Yields 24 cupcakes
1 hrPrep Time
18 minCook Time
1 hr, 18 Total Time
4 1/2 ounces dark chocolate
6 tbsp unsalted butter - softened
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup sour cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free flour
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 jar of Marshmallow Fluff
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup cocoa powder
5 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 package of hot chocolate marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together either in the microwave or over a double boiler on the stovetop.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine melted chocolate and butter mixture, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, xantham gum, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients in the medium bowl to the dry ingredients in the large bowl and stir until well combined. The resulting batter should be pretty think.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full and bake 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- Cool completely before filling and frosting.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, add softened butter to a large bowl and beat for 5-7 minutes or until light in color.
- Sift coco powder into bowl and slowly combine with butter.
- Sift 2 cups of powdered sugar into the bowl and mix until combined.
- Add vanilla extract and half of the heavy whipping cream and mix until combined.
- Sift 2 more cups of powdered sugar into the bowl and mix until combined. Once combined, mix on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- Sift remaining powdered sugar into mixture. Add remaining heavy whipping cream. Mix slowly to combine, and then mix on medium-high speed for 3-5 minutes.
- Once cupcakes are cool, carefully cut a 1 inch circle into the top of each cupcake and remove the centers. Then fill with marshmallow fluff.
- Frost the tops with the chocolate frosting and add cute little marshmallows to finish.
- Serve and enjoy!
If your gluten free flour blend contains xantham or guar gum, omit the 3/4 tsp xantham gum this recipe calls for.
Omit the 2 eggs and 1/2 cup sugar in the cupcake batter and use 2 ripe mashed bananas instead. Use vegan chocolate instead of regular dark chocolate.
In the frosting recipe, use full fat coconut milk instead of heavy whipping cream - extra powdered sugar may be needed if the frosting is too moist to retain it's shape.