My coffee order is always the same: caramel macchiato. So of course when the idea hit to make a coffee flavored cupcake, I knew it had to be a caramel macchiato cupcake. These can be made with regular flour or your favorite gluten free flour blend for a gluten free option.
The espresso flavored chocolate cupcake perfectly envelopes the salted caramel sauce filling and the cream cheese frosting is a lovely counterbalance.
The almonds and caramel sauce that are drizzled on top are honestly just for fun because I don’t think it’s possible to have too much caramel sauce. I love these when the weather’s too cool for iced coffee.
Yields 12 Cupcakes
30 minPrep Time
18 minCook Time
48 minTotal Time
2/3 cup of your favorite gluten free flour mix (regular flour works if you're not gluten free)
2/3 cup cocoa powder (not dutch-process!!!)
1 1/2 teaspoons espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup room temperature unsweetened coffee or espresso
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons salted butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and put cupcake liners in a cupcake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, egg, espresso/coffee and vanilla until smooth.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until evenly combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the cupcake pan, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
- Heat granulated sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Once sugar is melted, add the butter.
- Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup of heavy cream while stirring.
- Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature before filling the cupcakes.
- Allow the butter and cream cheese to sit out and come to room temperature, or soften (but do NOT melt!) in the microwave.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, combine the butter, vanilla, and cream cheese.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and slowly add the powdered sugar one cup at a time until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop out the centers of the cooled cupcakes.
- Fill the cupcakes with room temperature Salted Caramel Sauce.
- Frosting can be piped on in a decorative fashion or spread on with a butter knife.
- Top with slivered almonds if desired and drizzle salted caramel sauce on top.